Trademark Infringement Lawyer in Charlottesville, VA
Protect Your Trademark Against Infringement With A Trademark Infringement Lawyer Serving Charlottesville, VA
Today it is critical that you protect your intellectual property by seeking help from a trademark lawyer in Charlottesville, VA at Dale Jensen, PLC. Whether it is a trademark, copyright, or patent, your IP identifies and differentiates your brand and business from your competition. As your innovative asset, and your mark, it is prudent that you research and protect it to ensure a strong business foundation and a successful future.
Your published words, art and copyright material are all protected under your rights. For those who believe their trademark has been infringed upon, can take action by relying on a member of our legal team for advice.
Types of Intellectual Property
The process for registering a trademark, copyright, patent, and protecting trade secrets can be time-consuming and confusing. The process entails more than simply submitting an application to the USPTO, waiting for a short while, and getting confirmation of your registration. There can be unexpected hurdles and many twists or turns to navigate. Without the legal knowledge of a Charlottesville, VA trademark lawyer, you could incur high costs and detrimental delays.
Here we have defined the various types of intellectual property:
- Copyright: This type of property encompasses those who are authors of various types of work; books, music, art, graphics, sculpture, photography, cinema, voice recording, software for technology and/or architecture. The copyright lasts until the date of death of author, with an addition 70+ years on top of that. Excludes: names, titles, phrases (short), and some language.
- Patent: This mainly affects inventors or discoverers of processes, machinery, matter, manufacturing and/or useful improvement concepts. In order to be considered a patent, the invention should be different from other items on the market and useful for production. Patents standard longevity lasts 15-20 years.
- Trademark: a word, a series of words, or symbol that is used to represent a company. The term for trademark is 10 years, with the opportunity to renew.
- Trade Secrets: Secrets that are preferable to be kept within a company or group due to the advantage of competition the information has over others in the trade. Trade secrets do not always have official protection but can be more useful over a copyright or patent. Includes formulas, algorithms, strategies, techniques and customer information lists.
Why You Should Register Your Trademark
Although you are not obliged to register a trademark, you should consider doing so as soon as possible if you are serious about building and protecting your business. A Virginia trademark lawyer at Dale Jensen, PLC can help you every step of the way, ensuring you get the results you are looking for as quickly as possible.
There are a number of reasons to register your trademark. These include:
- You retain exclusive ownership rights of your trademark
- Constructive notice of your exclusive ownership rights in the U.S.
- The right to use “®”; a federal registration
- You gain a basis for registering your mark in other countries
- Your trademark is incontestable after five years
- You have the right to sue in a federal U.S. court
- You can seek damages for an infringement of your trademark
- You can recover legal fees should a dispute arise
- If an infringement abroad occurs, you may prevent importation of the product into the U.S.
What to Do Next
If you believe you are the victim of trademark infringement, then consulting with a Charlottesville trademark lawyer in VA can help you receive the maximum compensation. An attorney can go over the details of your case to ensure you have a solid foundation of proof and offer guidance throughout the litigation process. This is not only a job for us here at Dale Jensen PLC, but a passion to preserve what makes someone unique. We understand the consequences can not only affect your finances, but your reputation too.
Why Dale Jensen, PLC
As intellectual property and trademark lawyers in Charlottesville, VA, we know that a trademark can bring significant value to your business. It is our goal to help you gain control of these assets. When you choose us, you can feel confident in knowing that we are:
- Good at what we do, and have a track record with the USPTO to prove it
- Focused on businesses of all types and sizes
- Ready to help clients budget their funds effectively
- Guided by many years of experience
- Focused on intellectual property matters
- Equipped with a solid team of lawyers, paralegals, and professional staff
Our Services Include:
- Provide advice on what may qualify as trademark use under U.S. law
- Discuss with you any necessary documentation to establish trademark rights
- Assist in all facets of the trademark application process
- Handle infringement, litigation, and prosecution matters
- Coordinate foreign trademark prosecution
- Establish trademark holding companies
- Prepare related trademark licensing agreements
- Negotiate trademark license agreements
- Advise clients on trademark opposition
- Counsel clients on how to protect their brand online
- Represent clients in federal court as a plaintiff or defendant
- Maintain the trademark registration
- Purchase a trademark for sale
We can also help you with copyrights, patents, and business formation. To learn more about trademarks and connect with a tenacious trademark infringement lawyer in Charlottesville, VA, please call us at Dale Jensen, PLC for a consultation!